Monday, February 20, 2006

Pray for Josh - down with high fever

Dear friends,
Josh is down with very high fever today. It was about 39.7 at about 11pm. He was complaining of an abdominal upset in the middle of the night. He has no diarrohea or vomitting. Probably exhausted and dehydrated due to late nights the past few days because of the memorial services at Whee Ling's grandma's wake. The fever has subsided as supporsitory was given him to bring the temperature down.Please pray he will not have any infection and get well soon.

On Monday, the 8th rib of my left chest was fractured when I was doing something. I heard the crack sound and immediately, I knew it must be a fracture because the pain was exactly the same type and nature I had in Sept 2004 when 3 of my ribs were broken prior to my diagnosis of Multiple myeloma.

The following day, I saw Dr.Koh L P, another consultant at SGH. I was assured and sent home Dr William Hwang, my transplant physician is away on a conference overseas. Though he was away, I kept him informed regularly of my condtion. He has always been so very kind and caring in looking after me despite his busy schedule and personal life. Am really thankful for these doctors who operate as an united team.

As soon as I got home, I was running a temperture. I was afebrile when my temperature was taken at SGH. Therefore, I went back to the hospital as advised to whenever I have a fever.

A series of blood and urine tests were done including the cultures to see if there is any infection in the system. Dr. Hwang also advised a full Myeloma studies and a skeletal survey be done. The results will only be out much later during the week or so. Please pray that there will be no relapse as I can't imagine going all over again. Honestly,it is scary, but it comforts me just to know that God is watching over me all the time.

In the midst of all my concerns, my heart was encouraged by the Nurse manager of the haematology Centre, SGH. She gave me a poem entitled "don't quit". It is very easy to succumb to the negative emotions during such a time. At times, I get very tired of all the check-ups; medications and their side-effects. Sometimes, when the physical afflictions come, it affects me psychologically, often how long more do I have to pull thru. And, if not for the Lord's word and guidance, not working to provide for my family sometimes make me feel very lousy, let alone losing the entire ministry after obeying the Lord to start the ministry at RiverPlace Church.All these things do make me feel that life has become purposeless, yet in all these, I learn to wait upon Him in stillness of my heart each day in order to find His purpose for all that He has allowed me and given me the strength to go thru. I'd almost quit, but glad I didn't as I hung on to the promise in Psm 23:6 that "surely the goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life".

Many of you came to bring God's comfort and strength to us - Whee Ling was very close to her grandma and your presence meant so much to her in a time of loss like this.The funeral was on Sat 18/2 and she is very exhausted having to be at the wake for so many days. She had been taking me to the hospital to and fro and now, when just when all the dust is about to settle down, here comes a spike of fever on Josh.
Another battle - but we know that God will never fail us by giving us the strength though we grow tired and weary.

We await to see God's goodness in the land of the living,

Thank you for your prayers.
david


Don't quit
One day I decided to quit...
I quit my job, my relationship, my spirituality...
I wanted to quit my life.
I went to the woods to have one last talk with God.
"God", I said. "Can you give me one good reason not to quit?"

His answer surprised me...

"Look around", He said. "Do you see the fern and the bamboo?"

"Yes", I replied.

"When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds,
I took very good care of them.
I gave them light. I gave them water.

The fern quickly grew from the earth.
Its brilliant green covered the floor.

Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed.
But I did not quit on the bamboo.

In the second year the Fern grew more vibrant and plentiful.
And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed.
But I did not quit on the bamboo. He said.

"In the third year, there was still nothing from the bamboo seed.
But I would not quit.

In the fourth year, again, there was nothing from the bamboo seed.
"I would not quit." He said.

"Then in the fifth year a tiny sprout emerged from the earth.
Compared to the fern it was seemingly small and insignificant...

But just 6 months later the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall.
It had spent the five years growing roots.
Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive.

I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle."
He said to me. "Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling,
you have actually been growing roots"

"I would not quit on the bamboo. I will never quit on you."
"Don't compare yourself to others." He said.
"The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern.
Yet, they both make the forest beautiful."

"Your time will come", God said to me. "You will rise high!"
"How high should I rise?" I asked.

"How high will the bamboo rise?" He asked in return.
"As high as it can?" I questioned.
"Yes." He said, "Give me glory by rising as high as you can."
I left the forest and bring back this story.

I hope these words can help you see that God will never give up on you.
He will never give up on you.

God says in Psalms 84: 11 that the Lord Jesus is your “sun (to give you warmth and joy) and shield (to protect you) and He will not withhold good things from those who walk uprighteously.” No problem is too big for God to carry on His shoulder. Come to Him in prayer.

Never regret a day in you life.
Good days give you happiness;
Bad days give you experiences;
Both are essential to life.

Keep going....don't quit.