Friday, April 08, 2005

Bone Marrow Aspiration (BMA) & Myeloma Studies on 11/4/2005

Dear all,
I am grateful for the concern and care shown by so many of you during my recent struggle with the side effects of the drugs - chiefly the steroids and the cytotoxic drugs that were given to intensify the treatment before I go for the transplant. Many of you have written to encourage our hearts and I appreciate some of you for calling, no matter how brief it was. Above all, I know of some groups that have gathered specially to intercede for us - Whee Ling and I are so touched by all that you all have done for us - by standing in the gap for us. Thankyou so much! Without your prayers, I wouldn't have been able to bear the torture of all that I was going through. And without His grace, I wouldn't have been able to endure every bit of the physical suffering. Frankly, I felt as if I was in deep waters.But His grace helped me overcome though I felt almost overwhelmed.

You know, going thru this especially during the Good Friday week gave me a little glimpse of the pain and suffering that our Lord Jesus went through.I know what I went through is really nothing compared to what He had gone through. It must have been very, very tough and excruciating for Him to walk the way of the cross! And it could have been me (and you). Instead we are free!

Well, come this Monday (11 April 2005), a BMA and full myeloma study will be done to determine the percentage of myeloma cells in my body after all these intensified treatment for the last 2 months. The last BMA/myeloma study done was 19%. It was 35% when first diagnosed.

Looks like Dr William Hwang will schedule me for the Allogenic Stem Cell Transplant very soon after the tests are done. My donors are going to SGH with me on Monday for a full medical screen and a host of other tests, including an interview to determine who will be the best choice.Do pray for wisdom for the doctor and transplant team.

Please pray also for the hospital that the VRE (Vacomycin Resistent Entercocci) superbug that we have all heard and read about will be controlled. It is not airborne but spread thru contact with articles infected.I may be hospitalised for about 36 days. Super long leh!!! By the way, because my immune system is low and will be knocked even lower deliberately during the transplant, I will not be able to receive any visitor at all. But you may email me at daveongke@pacific.net.sg or Whee Ling at wheeling.chern@sas.com. We will furnish you with more details when the dates are fixed for the BMT (bone marrow transplant).

Thanks for standing with us. We are honored to have friends all over and family members in Singapore and KL praying with us.

In Him we live and have our being,
david