Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Please pray for my father

Dear all,
Covet yr prayers for my dad. He was admitted to Changi General Hospital immediately yesterday for Ischaemic heart disease. He is stable now and resting in the hospital.
By the grace of God, I happen to be running some errands around Bedok interchange yesterday. I saw him walking while I was driving.

He had gone to see the Dr at Bedok Polyclinic. He had symptoms of giddiness and slight breathlessness upon exertion. The doctor had sent him to go to A&E immediately on his own knowing that the ECG taken was abnormal. I wished he had contacted any of us to bring him to A&E. My dad could have collapsed.

I may sound a little fearful because I had seen two unexpected deaths in the past two weeks.

The first was my immediate friend and neighbour who collapsed right before my very eyes while my family was having dinner. He died in ICU few days later.

The second was a 26 year-old young man who was one of my counsellees in the ministry. Ian had died suddenly in SGH due to possible dengue fever as you may have read in the newspapers. Life is unpredictable!

Nonetheless, am thankful to God for His divine intervention; for His hand upon my dad; for answering my prayers for my family as I bring them before Him daily. Thank God for His covering and protection!

Do pray for my father. He is 70. He looks younger than me!

His heart problem was caused by an accident years ago when he landed in ICU. Some of you probably have heard me share how the Lord turned my hatred for him into love. He was seriously ill in ICU due to cardiac arrhythmia. I remembered the Lord said I loved others but not him even though I was a pastor. Since then, my attitudes changed and started showing love in Jesus' name. It was a miracle, a transformation for me. Wouldn't be possible with God's love. His love cast out all fear.... the fear to love. Very awkward at first you know!!!

But God honored that act of obedience. Many of you knew how my father came to know the Lord - how God answered our prayers as my family through our monthly prayer meetings and how we learned to honor our parents as a family. By the grace of our loving God, I also had the joy of baptizing my dad personally some years back then in FCBC.

Thank you for praying. Many things happened in my family - and the grace of God always saw us through one by one. We are never tired, but always glad to share the goodness of the Lord to us........as many of you have from different ones in my family of origin - the Ong Family.

God is always so good!
David

"Blessed are those whose strength is in YOU; who set their hearts on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; The autumn rains also cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion."

Psalm 84:5-8