Tuesday, March 28, 2006

MRI on 3 April 2006

Dear all,
I sincerely appreciate you for praying for the relief of the pain in my bones.

Thankfully, the pain killers do help though they wear off quite fast,usually in 3-4 hours. The codeine also causes drowsiness. To help in restoring the bones,I am on intravenous Zometa regularly as well as calcium tablets 3x a day. Come Monday, I will be going for the MRI of my whole body.

Interestingly, the Lord has also opened doors for me to befriend some people at the Haemological Centre at SGH. I have started to write their names down so that I can intercede for the salvation of each of them by name. Frankly,often I just didn't want to get to know people actively as I struggle with my own ailment. As much as I know I can seize every opportunity and season in my life to be a witness for the Lord, many a times I feel weak and powerless in my soul to do so. Most of the time I choose to sit at a corner to read or think while waiting for my turn to see the doctor, with occcasional 'hellos' and smiles with the familiar hospital staff and patients that have become acquainted with me.

Since Sept 2004, SGH Haemotology Centre and ward 72 have been a place I frequent at least once a week for my regular follow-ups. It's almost like a second home. In the course of time, there are many I have got to know- staff and patients.
Sadly, a few patients had also succumbed to the deadly effects of the disease they suffered. Some are doing fairly well with occasional 'hiccups' like what I have been having on and then. While here and there I see some turning frail and weak, trying to fight the warfare in their bodies and souls. Mixed feelings do cloud my mind and heart but again and again, I have to hold the sword of the Spirit/ word of God to remind me to turn my eyes to focus on Jesus, the finisher of our faith.

Many people have written to commend us as we go thru this crisis. Honestly, we don't have enough strength. Do you know what gave us the joy and strength?

For one - your prayers and words of encouragement.

Secondly,remembering how the heroes in the Bible also gave us great strength to persevere and have the sense of purpose in living each day. Particularly Job - who suffered so much. He is a great example for me to follow in such times of testing.
The Apostle Paul's uncomsuming attitude and concern for the gospel in the midst of his own suffering also taught me to rejoice in the Lord and to glorify God in all circumstances.But ultimately, it is the Jesus who had been thru the worst suffering thru the way of the cross that has provided the serenity and peace as we trust in Jehovah Jireh. Why? Simply because He knows and understands all that we are going through. That's enough for me to keep trusting; keep believing and have complete confidence in God.

Finishing well and strong in life is important. But above all, living for eternity is even more important. Talking to Dr. William last Monday was a good reminder of this fact.

We were talking about an article I read at the medical centre. It's about an interview he had with the newspapers not too long ago in which he said, "No one lives forever but there's a lot of satisfaction when you can give a patient a new lease of life. Sometimes, though, it's the patients who don't make it, who change you. Their perspective, that it's not just this life that they are living for, makes the big picture clearer."

Talking with him in that brief moment in the consultaion reminded me to stay focused on living well for the Lord. I vividly remembered him saying, "it doesn't matter whether we live for just one more day or a hundred or more. It matters more how and why we live our lives."

I want to stay strong like Job - able to stand the test of loyalty and faithfulness to my master and maker even if I suffer losses in life, including my health. I want to be like Paul - able to sing and rejoice and speak of the goodness of God even in difficult circumstances. I really want to be like Jesus - able to stay focused on his mission, who for the joy ahead endured the cross.

I feel so motivated to serve again. Regardless of the physical strength in me - I want to tell of His love wherever I am. I do not need to be in a place in full-time in the pastorate to do that. Influence is not primarily due to position, rather, where God has placed me, I can proclaim of His undying love.

please pray that God will open more doors and open the hearts of the hopsital staff and especially, the patients who must see the urgency of time to make Jesus their Lord and Saviour while there is still breadth.

Thanks,
david