Thursday, December 02, 2004

Dear friends,
The first week of the 4th cycle was quite difficult as the hiccups were very bad. It came every 10-15 secs. Besides, it caused me to regurgitate so badly. I am not taking the medicine that stops the hiccups as that in itself causes very severe drowsiness and affects my temperament as well.Largatil is a psychiatric drug that has been used to stop hiccups.

Nevertheless, I am glad to have crossed over another week. Frankly, I drag the first week of every new cycle of chemotherapy. But I always remember that the worst was over when I experienced so much pain then when I was discharged from hospital. Thus, it could have been worse, but this is really nothing compared to that although it is very uncomfortable especially at night. Also, the mind tends to be active and thus more prone to negative and deceptive thoughts where the evil one can come to rob me of my joy in the Lord. Therefore, I would covet your prayers for me. To stay strong in the power of His might.

After the last visit to see Dr. William Hwang at SGH, the haemoglobin results were good. It has gone up to 13.2, which is a good indication that the myeloma cells are responding to the treatment. Although it is NOT indicative that the cancer is in remission, it is a good sign. A bone marrow investigation will be done after the 6th cycle to ascertain the condtion again, after which I will go for the Autologus cell transplant. This is not curative, but it does prolong the life span. I will still need to have the donor-cell transplant where one of my siblings will donate his/her marrow to me. This has a greater risk but more curative in nature.

Well, there are many mixed thoughts and feelings in this whole process. I am grateful to many of you for your prayers and support in so many ways. As I sought the Lord, He gave me Psm 27 as a promise.....

"I am confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait upon the Lord; be strong and take heart, wait upon the Lord." v13-14

Pray for me as I learn to wait upon the Lord.........patiently and eventually see the goodness of the Lord......even in this sickness.

appreciate you,
david.