Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lessons from Jim Goll

Yesterday I wrote about Jim Goll. He has been completely healed of Cancer after eight years of struggle with it.

Reading his testimony and journey taught me several things.
I like to share 2 thoughts with you here, prayerfully that it will enrich and encourage your hearts in the Sovereign Lord as he had edified mine.

1. About Prayer – The Lost Art of Intercession. This helped me remember that the key in the Victorious Christian living is through the power and position (authority) we have in Christ.

(The following writing is an excerpt from the first chapter of Jim Goll’s first book, The Lost Art of Intercession.)

There is an incident involving Aaron the priest and the fire of God that pictures the burden of my heart for this book and the work of God in this generation. It is found in Numbers 16:
And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Get away from among this congregation, that I may consume them instantly." Then they fell on their faces. Moses said to Aaron, "Take your censer and put in it fire from the altar, and lay incense on it; then bring it quickly to the congregation and make atonement for them, for wrath has gone forth from the LORD, the plague has begun!" Then Aaron took it as Moses had spoken, and ran into the midst of the assembly, for behold, the plague had begun among the people. So he put on the incense and made atonement for the people. He took his stand between the dead and the living, so that the plague was checked. But those who died by the plague were 14,700, besides those who died on account of Korah.(Numbers 16:44-49)

Aaron provides a vivid picture of the intercessor:
When the congregation of Israel sinned by rebelling against their leaders, God sent a judgment upon them in the form of a plague that killed nearly 15,000 people. Far more would have died, but Moses told Aaron, the high priest, to quickly put fire from God's altar into his censer, or container, along with incense. Then Aaron literally ran out into the midst of the congregation with the fire of God. The Scripture says that Aaron "took his stand between the dead and the living." The fragrant smoke ascending from the burning censer, as Aaron swung it to and fro, formed a line of demarcation between two groups—the dead and the living.
What Are the Applications for Today?

· God wants to use more than a Moses or an Aaron today.
One of the unique things about the Church of the New Covenant is that God has authorized and commanded every Believer to do the work of the ministry! "Point people," or church leaders, can't do it all—in fact, their primary job or reason for being, according to the apostle Paul, is "for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the Body of Christ" (Ephesians 4:12). God wants an entire army of workers out doing the vital work of the ministry and building up His Body, the Church.

The plague in Numbers chapter 16 was stopped because Aaron stood in the gap. That is the classic definition of an intercessor: "one who stands in the gap for another." Aaron stood in the gap for his generation, and the plague was stopped. There is a devilish plague running rampant today through our churches, cities, and nations. Now the Lord is calling for a priestly people to rise up and personally carry the holy fire of His Presence to their generation for their salvation and His glory.

Who Will Stand in the Gap?

Let me bring this a little closer to home: God wants to put His Spirit upon you in such a measure that you will answer His summons with a resounding: "Yes, I will stand in the gap for my generation right here and now. I will put aside every pathetic intimidation and every entanglement of namby-pamby religion. I am going to make a difference by willingly taking up the cross of an intercessor. I will lay aside my life for the sake of others before God."
God is restoring the ancient fire since the Book of Acts. He is restoring His fire to you and me in this generation because He wants us to reap His harvest. The first step begins with the restoration of the fire on God's altar.

Here I am Lord! Use me! Like Isaiah of old, I surrender to the call of my Master. Like the word of the Lord that came to Ezekiel, I declare, "By grace, I will stand in the gap for such a time as this." Like Anna and Simeon in the Temple at the time of the dedication of Jesus on His 8th day, I say, "I will be Your prophetic intercessor." Here I am—right here—right now—write my name down in Your book and sign me up to be a part of the watch of the Lord. For Jesus Christ's sake and the rewards of His suffering. Amen and Amen!

Whee Ling, Josh and I have been blessed these 5 years by many who have been standing in the gap for us. Many of you have stood in proxy for us especially when our own hands were tired like Moses. Because of you, we’ve won one battle after another. Thank you for being our “Aarons and Hurs”.

2. Focused Calling – made me ponder upon the direction God is leading me through my own journey

Jim Goll said, “I want to share some of my thoughts as I have had a lot of time alone over these last few weeks due to my recovery time needed from the intense cancer treatment. I have had time to think, ponder, reflect, pray, rest—oh yes, rest. I have had time to evaluate once again what I want to do with my life and how I can make the greatest impact on this generation. I have needed this time out and I still need more time to fully recover.
My conclusions are not new, but in the midst of one of the greatest and most difficult times of my life, I sense a renewing beginning within me towards my calling in life and ministry. I know I am called to two major things:
1) Be a man of prayer and teach other people how to pray, and
2) Be a man who hears God's voice and teaches other people how they too can hear the Holy Spirit for themselves. I have many other goals, but ultimately they will find their fulfillment as I stay true to these two callings. It is really that simple.

If I do what I am called to do, I can help you do what you are called to do. But if I do not do what I am called to do, I will just be another echo reverberating under the anointing of others, not releasing the unique sound that God has given me to make.”


What God seems to be saying to me:
I sense the Lord guiding me through these words from Jill Goll. In the past few months, I have been thinking, praying and waiting upon God by asking Him for “A sign of His goodness” (Psalm 86:17).

This article from Elijah List came in timely as I waited patiently, though often with lots of frustration. But the Lord comforted and strengthened my heart last Sun through Dr. Freddy Boey’s message in RiverLife Church. I learned that it took Paul 11 years to wait upon God by developing his inner spirit/inner man before he went to Tarsus (Acts11).

Jim Goll’s words confirmed what the Lord prompted me all these months to move towards a specialized calling in line with where God has led me thus far in my pastoral ministry. It’s like a general medical practitioner specializing in a particular field and then sub-specializing in that arena.

Therefore, I covet your prayers for me. For the Lord to continue to reveal His heart to me.
I want to end with this wonderful words I read from Ezekiel 34:26b
“I will send down showers in season, there shall be showers of blessing.”
David
14.Oct 2009