Friday, October 10, 2008

4 Years / Medical Appointment Today

Dear all,
I was sitting at the main lobby at National Cancer Centre this afternoon while waiting for a new doctor friend who is an oncologist there.

While waiting, my eyes were roving to and fro, observing the people from all walks of life that were coming in and out of the centre. But the ones that attracted me were the cancer patients. Many came in on wheelchairs, while others came with tubes hanging from their noses or other places. My heart went out to them as I teared with thankgiving in my heart to the Lord of grace for having brought me thus far in my journey.

It's been slightly more than four years (The Olympics have come and gone)since the time I started battling this illness with the strength and comfort of the Lord. And with friends and loved ones in our families of origin that stood with us all these years. Whee Ling, Josh and I are eternally grateful to people near and far who have surrounded us with their love and prayers.

Your prayers and support in every way have touched us and God, through your fervent prayers, have sustained me, bringing different phases of healing to me in spite of the many high drama moments and challenges along the journey. Let me take this time to appreciate you once again for all that you've been and done for us.

My follow-up with Dr William was good. The spinal lesions seem to be in good control with the use of Thalidomide and will be closely monitored. The immuno-suppressants and prophylatic antibiotics are taken off now, so I am no longer on steriods and anti-bacterials for a month or so now without any complications. For all these, we are thankful. Though the waiting seems prolonged, God has indeed given me prolonged life as many of the cancer friends I've made in the last four years have departed. There were times I feared the worst, shaking my faith now and then. But Psalm 27 constantly reminded me not to faint/lose heart and courage but to declare my confidence in Who God is by waiting patiently in order to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Well, thank God for each step of progress!

Do pray for Josh as the exams are here. He had his English and Chinese oral exams today. His English Composition and Chinese Listening Comprehension will be on 14 & 15 Oct respectively. Whee Ling & I covet your prayers for him to study for the glory of God. To us, that is the most important thing, to have God in all he does.

Whee Ling is very busy with great responsibilities at work. When she gets home, she has to guide Josh in his chinese, a subject I can't help proficiently. Do pray for God's strength upon her.

Finally, the audio version of my book is out in MP3 format/CD. It is beyond my imagination how this could be birthed if not for the encouragement of some who spurred us on to produce it so that many can listen to our testimony in audio form.

Thanks for standing with us!

To God be the Glory!

David