Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Faith shaken...Faith strengthens

Faith shaken...

I could not fully understand what went through David's mind or the emotions he experienced when he received news last Friday that Linfei, his friend whom he called "little brother" from China has passed away. This dear brother-in-Christ, suffered much from lukemia and had numerous transplants. He was a very gentle, patient and kind young man - only 31 years old and well liked by the nurses and all who knew him. He was also quite young in his faith. We had prayed for healing and we encouraged him to look to the Lord and find strength in Him. David often visited him whenever he went to the hospital and assured him of God's love and presence. Why didn't the Lord heal him? I found myself thinking about this and trying to seek an answer from the Lord.



From the bible, we learned that God is able to heal and is willing to heal. As David shared in his book and from other books on healing and even messages we have heard in church, we know the reason or rather accepted the fact that healing sometimes does not happen the way we expect it because of numerous factors, and it all boils down to His sovereign will. Yet, I was perturbed. I know God has no favourites. Linfei is as precious to Him as David is. As it is written in the bible "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name." (John 1:12). Surely He is a loving Father who loves all His children. I am sure some wondered why He didn't heal Linfei and some others...



Faith strengthens....

As if hearing my doubts, the Lord reminded me of the 11th hour worker in the parable Jesus told His disciples in Matthew 20:1-16. I recalled that a pastor had preached this passage at my grandma's funeral that those of us who remain, while some have gone on before us, are so because we still have work to do on earth. As Paul shared in Philippians 1:21-25 "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain...", if I may parapharse it as it is much better to be with the Lord yet for the sake of the gospel, it is necessary to work...". Yes, things happened and is happening the way it is because of His higher purpose. It is now not difficult for me to see that David still has work to do and surely many would continue to be blessed by him, he has so much love for the Lord and for people. For this His divine purpose, I am so thankful and grateful for I am among those most richly blessed by him.



Last Sunday, we visited PMC at Pasir Ris and the pastor delivered a very good message on "Divine Healing". I am constantly amazed how the Lord would answer my prayers and clear my doubts. The message was so timely! We were reminded to have faith and that "without faith it is impossible to please God.." (Hebrews 11:6). This jolted my memory on the miracle Jesus did to heal the blind man Bartimaeus (Mark 10:46-52, Luke 18:35-43). We heard this passage preached for 3 consecutively sundays when we visited 3 different churches earlier this year. Surely the Lord is telling us something. To me, I was touched with v51 "And Jesus said.."What do you want Me to do for you?" and "..your faith has made you well."" The pastor ended last Sunday's message with the exhortation to live in faith so that Jesus marvels at our faith and not the lack of it.

David had his full body X-ray taken last Fri and will be going for his review tomorrow afternoon. He started to cough, probably because he was very exhausted running around last weekend to help in Linfei's funeral and also to help care for Linfei's parents. Please pray that the Lord will comfort the bereaved family and bring healing to David. Whatever the outcome of the medical result tomorrow, as the Psalmist said in Psalm 112:7 "He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord...in the end he will look in triumph on his foes." The Lord has promised, He is able to heal and will heal. Thanks be to our Lord Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Redeemer who is faithful and true!

My heartfelt thanks to all who pray with and for us tirelessly. May you be blessed as you trust in Him, rejoicng in His love and presence, in Jesus name!

Shalom,
Whee Ling