Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Relapse or ...?

Relapse, new cancer cells or remnants undetected previously...?

Whatever it is, the “new marrow changes demonstrated in the mid-thoracic and lower thoracic spine (T3, T4, T5, T9, T10 and T12)." in the last MRI report is not good news. As much as David and I are at peace, renewing our minds with His promises and placing our hope in His goodness and mercies, I do get bothered by doubts and uncertainties at fleeting moments. Occasionally I would be hit by “what if”s? What if he doesn’t get healed? What if he does not live to see his grandchildren as prophesized? What if….? But God is truly good all the time! He encouraged us through His people who wrote emails and cards to us, prayed with and for us and blessings us in many other ways. It is such a heart warming thought to know that prayers were going up from different corners of the world, from US to Australia, to our loving Father the Almighty God for us.

As David shared, this seemingly setback in his health condition, which resulted in him being on cancer treatment again and the temporary suspension of Shepherds’ Point Church ministry, is a battle and it is the Lord’s battle. It is comforting to know that we are not in this battle alone. Most reassuring of all is the knowledge and conviction that our Great High Priest Jesus Christ is interceding before the Father for David. Fyi, David has no problem with thalidomide, no side effects so far. That is an answered prayer. Praise the Lord!

I had shared with Josh about this development and prayed with him for his daddy. Initially I wasn’t sure if I had done the right thing because I thought I should not have burdened my young son. Young as he is, he should be carefree and happy. Well, I reckoned that it is important for him to witness and experience with the family the Lord’s deliverance and the exceeding joy of victory when the enemy is defeated.

Josh did not talk much about his daddy’s illness but through his actions, this has somewhat impacted him and I covet your prayers for him too. He was suddenly afraid of the dark and refused to go to the toilet or rooms by himself. He wanted us to sleep with him in his room and when he woke up finding us not in his room, would come to our room to sleep with us. This had happened a few times last 2 weeks. On a brighter side, he has become very thoughtful and sweet too. When his daddy commented he was thirsty, Josh readily served him a drink without even being asked – this had never happened before. He also wanted to surprise his daddy with a gift on Apr Fool’s day and gave me S$50 (out of his savings of S$51) to buy his daddy a watch. He specifically said he wanted me to buy a Hamilton watch (I don’t know where he learned the brand names of watches from) and of course that is impossible (min price from S$950). I finally bought a simple but elegant looking watch at S$56. He made a really nice little box, decorated it and in his daddy’s words was “kui kui sui sui” (i.e. acted suspiciously) for a while before giving the "surprise" gift to him on 01Apr evening. In order to make sure he is being fair, he added as if as an after thought, that he would buy something for me too when he has saved enough money. I was a more amused than anything by his generosity and thoughtfulness. I assured him I would never be jealous of him loving daddy and no, he does not need to buy me anything.

I couldn’t thank the Lord enough for a wonderful husband and an adorable son!

I asked David about how he felt about the whole thing and also if he believed the prophecy would come true. All he said was “ask the Lord”. Well, that is what I earnestly did. I fasted and prayed for 2 afternoons during lunch time last week. God’s answer did not come immediately but last Sat while doing my devotion reading in the morning, I read the passage in James 5 (NKJ version) and I found comfort and hope again in the verses 10 & 11:
“My brethren, take the prophets, who spoke in the name of the Lord, as an example of suffering and patience. 11 Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord—that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.”

We know the end the Lord intended for Job was good. To a certain extent, I could draw a parallel on David’s suffering with Job’s. The purpose of this suffering and perseverance is so that the Lord’s name be glorified! That all would know He is very compassionate and merciful! Praise the name of Jesus! Thank you Lord!

If you are reading this and have needs in your life or those whom you are praying for, I hope our sharing would be an encouragement to you and spur you to seek the Lord. Do draw strength from Him and may you find joy, peace and hope in Him. God bless you and feel free to share with us too that we and others may be encouraged.

Hopeful again,
Whee Ling