Friday, March 28, 2008

Faith & Favor

Dear all,
I have a friend whose father was seen an medical oncologist and a Senior Consultant at NCC, SGH. The doctor apparently was not only cold, he gave the family members of patient no comfort or ray of hope at all. They came out from the consultation room feeling so devastated and angry with the attitude of the doctor.

I am very thankful to God for the skillful, personal and professional doctors that He has placed to watch over me. Both Drs. William Hwang (my transplant physician) and Dr. Fong Kam Weng (my Radiologist Oncologist) discussed my situation in great detail and were very thoughtful and caring, doing their best as christian doctors to find the best solution for me. I feel so touched by their genuine concern and acts of kindness towards me.

Having discussed the details, they have decided that there will be no need for radiotherpy for the now.

Many of you heard about the new cancer cells hiding in my spine (although the M-band shows O!) and sent me many warm regards and support in prayer. Your faith gave me faith to believe God to move this new mountain!

Last night, I read these words by Dutch Sheets and Larry Randolph which read, "Faith Will Move Your Mountain, but Favor Causes Others to Move it For you!" I feel so favoured by God that us so many people to stand in the gap for us when we are challenged with another giant in the journey. Your prayers in one voice directed at this enemy of my life is the one stone that God has given to me to fight the battle in the Lord! Indeed, like a friend who emailed us said, "The battle is the Lord's!"

Whee Ling and I are very peaceful (Psalm 119:165 is a great verse!) about it because we know the Lord who has seen us through thus far (almost 4 years as Olympic games is coming), will not fail to see us through this hurdle even though this comes as a bad news. We will not let anything to cause us to stumble. This verse from Psalm 119 is incredible. It assured us that nothing can make the man at peace stumble. When the bad news came, I was a little shocked and shaken again but had to renew my mind immediately and turn the bad news to our good shepherd. The good news is this suffering caused us, directed us to turn God-wards always.

Psalm 119:71 says, "It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees." You may think that I am crazy. I thought the Psalmist was crazy when I read this verse recently. I could not relate to him initially, but as I put myself in his shoes, I understood why. Like the Psalmist, I don't enjoy suffering but I have learnt that every time I suffer, I encounter and experience God deeper and deeper. I turn my disappointment and affliction toward God and He turned my pain into precious moments when I linger and soak in His presence through His word. In His presence, I let His word sustain, comfort and deliver me according to His promise(s), and I will live; I do not let my hopes be dashed. (Psalm 119:116)

To end, let me echo the beautiful and empowering chorus of one of my old time favourite songs from the Continental Singers, "If He carried the weight of the world upon His shoulders, I know my brother that He will carry you through."

What great comfort, courage and confidence we who are His beloved children can hold on to in when we face giants, mountains, storms, enemies, setbacks and even illnesses in our lives - that our Shepherd will see us through!

If Jesus carried the weight of the world upon His shoulders, I know and I know and I know that My Jesus will carry us through!

David